Anini Beach Guide
If you’re looking for a tropical paradise to escape to, look no further than Anini Beach on the island of Kauai. With its clear waters, serene atmosphere, and stunning views, it’s no wonder that Anini Beach is a favorite among locals and tourists alike.
In this Anini Beach guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about this hidden gem of Kauai, including camping information, top attractions, and tips for making the most of your visit.
Anini Beach Overview
Located on the North Shore of Kauai, Anini Beach’s 2.5-mile stretch of beach is considered one of the safer North Shore beaches that Kauai has to offer. It has sprawling reefs surrounding the bay, making ideal swimming conditions and a great place to relax and hang out.
It can be less crowded than its neighbors like Poipu, but we still recommend getting there early to get a great spot in case you visit during peak times.
Anini Beach Amenities
It may be on the more remote side of things, but it does boast a few additions that can help make the day a bit smoother and create a kid-friendly environment.
- Public Showers: Located near the parking lot.
- Public Restrooms: Located near the parking lot.
- Pavilions & Picnic Tables: These can be reserved for events but are mostly open for a quick lunch out of the sun.
- Drinking Fountains: Easy access to water.
- No Lifeguards: The beach is still considered very safe when following basic ocean safety and swimming rules.
Anini Beach Location & Directions
Location Of Anini Beach: Anini Beach is located just past 4371 Anini Road, Kilauea, HI, 96754
Directions For Parking: Go north out of Lihue on Kuhio Highway (Highway 56), and make a right on Kalihi Wai Road. Keep going and make a slight left when you hit the split in the road. You will clearly see your destination, Anini Beach, and the parking that sits just outside of the actual beach area.
Anini Beach Park Campground Information & More
If you’re looking for a unique way to experience Anini Beach, consider camping overnight. The beach has several campsites available for rent, and there’s nothing quite like falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing on the shore.
It is one of the most well-known spots for beach camping – just be sure to read up on laws, rules, permits, and regulations. Visit the Kauai official government website for more information about camping.
The Anini Beach Park Campground is shut down every Wednesday from 10 am through 12 noon on Thursday for maintenance (subject to change: use the official .gov source linked above for planning)
Top Activities at Anini Beach
Because of the reef surrounding Anini Beach, the waters can be perfect for a variety of activities.
Snorkeling – One of the most popular activities at Anini Beach is snorkeling due to the reef structure surrounding the beach. The water here is crystal clear, with a wide variety of marine life to discover. Remember, don’t venture too far past the reef barrier. For the best snorkeling conditions, arrive early in the morning.
Kayaking – Another great way to explore Anini Beach is by kayak. There are several local rental companies around this side of the island and on the way, and the calm waters of the beach make for a peaceful and relaxing paddle.
Picnicking – Anini Beach is the perfect spot for a beachside picnic. The beach has several shaded areas with picnic tables, and the stunning views make for a wonderful lunch experience.
Tips for Visiting Anini Beach
Get There Early. Anini Beach can get crowded, especially during peak season. If you want to secure a prime spot on the beach, it’s best to get there early in the morning.
Bring Sunscreen. The Hawaiian sun can be intense, so it’s important to protect your skin with sunscreen. Make sure to apply it liberally and reapply it throughout the day.
Be Mindful of Marine Life. Anini Beach is home to a wide variety of marine life, including sea turtles and reef fish. When snorkeling or kayaking, make sure to be mindful of these creatures and avoid disturbing their natural habitat.
Respect the Environment. Anini Beach is a natural wonder, and you should respect the environment. Make sure to pack out any trash you bring with you, and avoid disturbing the beach’s delicate ecosystem.
Pay Attention When Snorkeling. While Anini is known for world-class snorkeling due to the reef, you should always pay attention to currents and stay within the protected area. Currents can become powerful outside of the reef boundaries. If you’re unsure, ask questions!
Are there turtles at Anini Beach?
Yes, you can spot turtles at Anini Beach!
Is snorkeling good at Anini Beach?
Yes, Anini Beach is known as one of the best snorkeling spots in all of Hawaii.
Is Anini Beach safe for swimming?
Yes, Anini Beach is well known as safe – even without lifeguards.
Nearby Sightseeing & Attractions At Anini Beach
- Walk Around Princeville – A resort community located on Kauai’s north shore, just a short drive from Anini Beach. It’s known for its stunning views of Hanalei Bay, golf courses, and luxury accommodations. Visitors can walk around the area, enjoy shopping and dining, or take in the natural beauty of the surrounding landscape.
- Hanalei National Wildlife Refuge – This 917-acre wildlife refuge is located in the Hanalei River Valley, just a few miles east of Anini Beach. The refuge is home to a variety of native birds, including the endangered Hawaiian duck and Hawaiian coot. Visitors can hike through the area or take a guided tour to learn more about local wildlife and the importance of conservation efforts.
- Na Pali Coast State Park – a rugged and remote state park located on Kauai’s northwest coast, just a few miles west of Anini Beach. The park is known for its towering sea cliffs, secluded beaches, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean. Visitors can explore the Na Pali coast by hiking, kayaking, or taking a boat tour, and can take in the natural beauty of this remote wilderness area.
Take In All The Sights At Anini Beach!
Anini Beach is a true hidden gem of Kauai, with a relaxed atmosphere and stunning natural beauty. Whether you’re looking to snorkel, kayak, camp, or simply relax on the beach, Anini has something for everyone. By following the tips in this Anini Beach guide, you can make the most of your visit and create unforgettable memories in this tropical paradise.