Lydgate Beach: A Complete Guide
Lydgate Beach is one of Kauai’s most popular beaches. It’s well known for its beautiful scenery and great swimming and snorkeling conditions. In this guide, we will provide everything you need to know before visiting Lydgate Beach, including directions, parking information, and what to expect when you get there!
Getting To Lydgate Beach
If you’re looking to spend a day at Lydgate Park, plan on driving for about 30 minutes from the Lihue Airport or about an hour if you’re coming from Princeville. The park is located on Kauai’s east side in Wailua, just north of Kapa‘a.
Lydgate Beach General Information
Although best known for its surfing, in summer Lydgate is a lovely place to swim and snorkel (with the protection of a manmade reef breakwater). Check with lifeguards before getting in the water. After your swimming adventure, explore Kamalani Playground, where there’s plenty of fun to be had for kids and adults alike.
Lydgate Beach, situated on East Kauai’s Coconut Coast, is a stunning attraction you cannot miss when visiting Kauai. With mesmerizing sunsets and an endless shoreline of sandy beaches and turquoise waters, Lydgate Beach Park is one of the best places to visit on the island. The park complex features two incredible attractions: a serene swimming area perfect for all ages and Kamalani Playground–one of Hawaii’s largest fully-equipped playgrounds.
It’s a community gathering place, boasting two miles of shoreline and the Kamalani Playground, Bridge, and Pavilion. These structures were donated by the Kauai community to provide all children with a fun place to play. The large pavilion area at Lydgate Beach has become famous for weddings and similar events. However, most people visit Lydgate Beach to take advantage of the protected swimming areas and other leisurely beach activities.
History of Lydgate Beach Park
The Kauai County Inland Swimming Pools were established for children’s safety and revere Reverend Henry Lydgate, a missionary who was in Hawaii in the late 1800s. Among the churches and schools, he founded the Kapa‘a Public School and Kapa‘a Church of Christ.
Lydgate Beach Park Nearby Attractions
- Keālia Beach
- The Grove Farm Sugar Plantation Museum
- Wailua River State Park
Lydgate Beach Park Tips & Tricks
- Lydgate Beach Park is a great spot to take a dip or soak up some rays, especially if you’ve got young kids in tow – but if possible, go early on weekdays so it’s not too crowded. Keep in mind that the water outside the pools can be tricky though, even with a lifeguard tower nearby.
- Although Lydgate Beach Park is mostly secluded, there are some residential areas and hotels nearby. So while you’re enjoying your time here, please be considerate of those around you.
- The area is great for snorkeling, swimming, biking on the nearby paths in the park, and exploring the Kamalani Playground Bridge.
- Lydgate Beach Park has a variety of amenities such as lifeguards, bathrooms, showers, covered pavilions, picnic tables, volleyball courts, a large yard for parties and other activities, and a playground for kids.
Looking to add more fun to your Kauai vacation? Visit Kauai Sea Tours!
Looking for more things to do on your Kauai vacation? Come book a day cruise with us at Kauai Sea Tours! We offer a variety of cruises to choose from, so there is sure to be something that interests you. Our snorkeling cruises are a great way to see the vibrant marine life that Kauai has to offer. If you’re looking for a more relaxing experience, try our sunset dinner cruise where you can enjoy a delicious meal as you watch the sunset over the water. Book today and come experience all that Kauai has to offer!
Feel free to reach out with any questions about your vacation or our cruises. Thank you for reading, and we hope to see you soon!