Tunnels Beach on Kauai: A Guide
If you’re looking for a breathtaking beach to visit on Kauai, look no further than Tunnels Beach. With its dramatic cliffs and crystal-clear waters, this beach is a must-see for anyone visiting the island. In this guide, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about visiting Tunnels Beach, including how to get there and what to bring with you. So pack your swimsuit and sunscreen and get ready for an amazing day at Tunnels Beach!
- Lifeguarded? Yes
- Has picnic tables
- Located near Haena on the North Shore
- Great place for swimming, snorkeling, and sunset watching
- Arrive early for a good parking spot
- The tunnels are not good for swimming during the winter months
- There are no amenities or facilities
History of Tunnels Beach
This beach is located close to Haena beach, where an ancient Hawaiian archaeological building still remains.
It gets the name Tunnels Beach from the lava tubes that have formed many underwater caverns and make the reef an incredibly interesting place to scuba dive or snorkel.
Commonly referred to as one of the ultimate snorkeling and scuba diving locations on Kauai, this interesting beach is lined with palm and Ironweed trees with a backdrop of lush jungles and mountains.
During the rougher surf months, Tunnels Beach becomes a popular place to surf, windsurf, and kite surfing along the beach.
Getting to Tunnels Beach
Follow HI-route 56 West out of Hanalei for about 5 miles. After passing mile marker 35 and driving respectfully through the residential area lookout for a sign with “Tunnels” on it as you go left onto Waikanal Rd. Keep an eye out for mile marker 8 which sits near the two small dirt roads that point towards the beach.
- The Na Pali Coast State Wilderness Park holds some of Hawaii’s most stunning and fun hiking. The 11-mile Kalalau trail takes you through beautiful jungles and valleys and is well worth the visit. It is a difficult hike so do your research and be prepared!
- Limahuli Garden and Preserve is a designated National Tropical Botanical Garden that highlights a variety of native Hawaiian plants. You can walk through the entire thing yourself, or decide to go for a guided tour.
Enjoy Tunnels Beach on Kauai!
If you’re heading to Kauai for a vacation, check out Tunnels Beach! This unique destination is great for a day of fun and there is plenty to explore in the area.
If you have any questions or concerns, reach out to our helpful staff at Kauai Sea Tours. Or if you are looking to take a tour out in Kauai’s waters and see the Na Pali Coast, book now! Thank you for reading and we look forward to seeing you in paradise!